Nature trail Filisur
FiliTour Nr. 1: Haus J.P. Schmidt
Show all 11 images
Colonel J. P. Schmidt - successful entrepreneur
Jan Peter Schmidt came from a long-established and wealthy family. In 1897, at the age of only 24, he took over the horse mail over the Albula Pass with around 180 horses and corresponding staff. Two years later, most of the horses had to be slaughtered because of a contagious disease. Since they were not insured, the damage was immense. In addition, the Albula Railway was opened in 1903 - stagecoach traffic was superfluous in one fell swoop. Schmidt did not hesitate for long and built up a flourishing timber trade with the sawmill in Bellaluna.
In 1935, J.P. Schmidt lost a considerable part of his assets in the dissolution of the Bank für Graubünden, as he was liable with private capital as a member of the Board of Directors.
Inn in Filisur
Joos Schmidt, the father of J.P. Schmidt, ran the inn "Zum Hirschen" here until around 1900. After that, the house was modernized. The surrounding associated buildings served as an administration (No. 14), horse stable (No. 11) and bakery (No. 7).
Today there are still four restaurants and hotels in Filisur, none of which is located in the village center.
In the audio, Anna Uffer, who has been running the Hotel Grischuna at the train station with her husband Reto Uffer since 1992, talks about her motivation and the challenges. The audio file can be found at the back of the pictures.
Responsible for this content Verein Parc Ela.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.